About the club

A village cricket club in North Lancashire competing in the Westmorland League. We have Queen Elizabeth II Protected Playing Field status, which means that Clifton Park is protected from any other future development other than as a cricket field, thus safeguarding cricket in Forton and the area and ensuring a lasting legacy

History from 1909

The PDFs are taken from the history of the club published on its Centenary in 2009, entitled ‘From Bay Horse to Clifton Park’ by Terry Mansfield.

 Cricket matches in the region of Bay Horse can be traced back to 1851, when a team called Hay Carr played on a ground on the southern side of the country house of that name. We know they had several matches against Lancaster, and the report in the local press on July 27th 1852 concluded “Mr Lamb, of Hay Carr, provided an excellent lunch on the ground to which the players did ample justice. After the match, the players adjourned to the Bay Horse, where a substantial dinner, was also provided by Mr Lamb…”

Read More

1909 – 1975

The early years at the Bay Horse, the first of many ‘homes’

1976 – 1996

Changing the club’s name and joining South Lakeland Cricket League

1997 – 2008

Rebuilding the club ready for the new millennium

Juniors
1976 – 2008

Terry Mansfield’s decision to set up a junior section started a competitive junior league.

Third team
1997 – 2008

The arrival of third team gave an opportunity for younger players many of whom went on to play for the first team

Behind the scenes – putting cricket on at Clifton Park

Without an army of volunteers the club and its superb facilities would not be ready for the 21st Century

ABOUT

A village cricket club in North Lancashire competing in the Westmorland League with Queen Elizabeth II Protected Playing Field status.

CONTACTS
  • Shireshead Cricket Club Ground,
    School Lane, Forton,
    Lancashire, PR3 0AL

  • 07989 583 771